Monday, September 23, 2013

Star Wars Mural...

           A few years ago I painted this life size mural of Anakin and Yoda for my nephew. It was my first mural and quite a learning experience. I started it using a sharpie thinking that I would have more control over my lines than using a brush, but I found that if the light hits it just right, a sharpie leaves a metallic glossy finish that is not true black.  It looked horrible, so I had to go over most of it again with a brush.
          When the black was finished I went to paint the lightsabers with an airbrush. Not having much experience with an airbrush, I was worried about the overspray. So, I decided to mask off the area around them. That was a mistake, because when I removed the tape I found that it left a solid line instead of a nice feathered edge, which was what I had envisioned. Oh well... he loved it despite its flaws and I had fun creating something on such a grand scale.

Wall painting of Anakin and Yoda
A wall painting of Anikin Skywalker
A close up of a wall painting of Anakin Skywalker
A wall painting of Yoda
A close up of a wall painting of Yoda

No comments:

Post a Comment